October 03, 2009

"Come and knock on our door..."

So since being back in the US, I've really enjoyed watching HGTV. Simply the fact that my parents have something other than broadcast television in their house is a miracle (they refused to get cable or satellite as we were growing up) and watching decorating shows has been great.

So when my mom said, "I've been wanting to re-do the doors." I got all excited and dove right in. They went from a dull stained brown to a nice appealing red. Here, in before-and-after picture form are the front and back doors of our house. We started it around the end of August but I'm claiming a newborn-pass for it taking so long. My mom took a day off of work this past week too to finish the back door. And here they are...

The Front door...before...
...while being stripped....
We took the hardware off to spray paint it. We wanted to save money and not have to drill new holes. So the existing hardware got cleaned up and re-done.
I like this next picture...I felt very HGTV-ish. We poked the screws through cardboard to spray them black so they'd match everything else.:)
The newly painted hardware...
And...the Front door after! So inviting! I can't wait to hang a Christmas wreath on it or something :)

And now the back door. It faces west and in the afternoon the bottom half gets pretty worn on. Both of these doors have been there for 25 years! Definitely time for some maintenance!
My parents painting the frame.
The primer (front door had all this too)...
Plus a couple coats of paint. (This was the only incident with Isaac in the whole process! Amazing!).
And the backdoor AFTER! Nice and welcoming!
I also did a little retroactive nesting and sewed some ribbon on a few burp-cloths for Isaiah. I went for gender-neutral colors for any subsequent siblings, and minus one fight I had with the sewing machine, they turned out pretty well!Yay for doing it yourself and saving money!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm always so impressed with d-i-y-ing. I am SO not a self decorator! Y'all did great!

mommykoo said...

this is so very impressive!!!! and i didn't know you knew how to operate such heavy machinery. i have one here too but i have no clue how to do anything on it. hahaha tips on how to start???

Anonymous said...

Nothing says "home" like a red front door! - Amy Taylor